Lift emergency phones
The nbn™ access network will soon replace most existing fixed phone and internet networks. When you switch over to the nbn™ access network, it may affect the operation of important services such as your lift emergency phones.
It's important to register lift emergency phones with nbn's Fire Alarm and Lift Emergency Phone Register
The registration process for lift emergency phones is an important government initiative to help support migration from most existing networks to the nbn™ access network, or alternative telecommunications networks. The rollout will involve new technologies which some existing lift emergency phones may not be compatible with.
What you need to do
- Talk to your lift maintenance provider about your options for migrating your lift emergency phone to the nbn™ access network, or another network prior to the disconnection of the current service.
- Identify the phone number used by your lift emergency phone.
- Register your service with nbn. Valid registrations (with a valid service phone number) will help nbn identify where assistance with migration may be needed.
- Once you have asked your lift maintenance provider for advice about options to migrate your lift emergency phone, you will need to decide which option to install.
- If additional cabling work is required to migrate your lift emergency services, organise a registered cabler to do this.
- Once the lift emergency phone has been migrated, work with your lift maintenance provider to make sure everything is working properly.
- Once migration is successfully tested, ask your lift maintenance provider to notify nbn that the service has been migrated.
How to register monitored fire alarm and lift emergency phones in multiple sites
To register monitored fire alarms and lift emergency phones in multiple sites, download and follow the instructions in the bulk registration template.
You must accept the terms and conditions to download the template
Questions you could ask your lift maintenance provider:
- Will my lift emergency phone work properly when connected to the nbn™ access network?
- If so, what specific phone or internet service will work best with my lift emergency phone?
- Will my lift emergency phone be able to dial out during a power outage when connected to the nbn™ access network?
- If not, what alternatives are available?
- What solutions would you [the provider] suggest? Are there any costs involved?
A note on privacy
If you are disclosing others’ personal information to nbn for inclusion in the Register, you should have their consent to provide the information to nbn. You will also need to notify those individuals that you have provided their information to nbn, and advise them of the purpose for which you provided it.
If you would like to access, correct, or update your information on the Register, you can contact nbn by calling 1800 687 626 or emailing email@example.com.